Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chapter 4 pages 57-59


I continued into the Central American night on a mission of whooping it up at an assortment of bars that would conclude at the Del Rey Hotel. Seeing that I was partying for two people (Tom and I), I picked up two beautiful black girls and brought them back to the apartment. By the time I got back to the apartment everyone was asleep. Meanwhile, I was fired up on hormones and alcohol. The good thing about my entry into the apartment was it was almost sunrise and Tom and DD would need to be eventually awakened by someone so they could head off to the airport. On the downside I am not sure they were expecting the ruckus that would ensue. DD always complained about the damn birds that were waking them up in the early morning just outside their window. She wanted to kill that bird. As bad as that little bird was it was not nearly as wild as being awakened by yours truly giving two Spanish speaking chocolate beauties some phallic discipline as I chased them out of the apartment while butt ass naked slapping them in the hind quarters with my manhood.

If the girlfriend were to ask me today in a profound President Bill Clinton response I could exclaim, “I did not have sex with two girls in Costa Rica!” I might have gotten a similar impeachment though for a lack of agreeable interpretation. Tom as usual was jovial and came out of his room laughing while DD wore the look of shock that she would soon get over and chalk up to more Costa Rican madness as she had seen plenty in the 12 months they spent in Central America. If only Tom and DD were witnesses to that act I would have been ok, but at the time a newcomer to BOS, a young 22 year old kid that would later become the customer service manager had just relocated from the UK and was living in the apartment also. The young man’s name was Jaime and he would become a longtime employee with BOS until the day they closed their doors as the head of customer service and the influential Jaime spread the legend. Heck, according to other executives at BOS Jaime picked up the slack when I was not around, staying out till the early hours of the morning and making a name for himself at the local brothels. I get a warm feeling in my heart knowing that there was at least one young kid that was influenced for better or worse by my actions outside of the BOS offices. Once in the office, even with sales I was exceptionally professional. I had a mentor also and he would end up taking his act on the road to Thailand. If Jaime is reading this he will be pleased to know that I have stepped up my act but with a little bit more class than our early encounters that bright sunny spring morning in 2001.

Four years later while having a very nice dinner in Costa Rica during a business trip with my boss, Lance Hanish from a Santa Monica ad firm, my longtime friend Johnny Ray or JR for short, a former executive with BOS, his wife Marilyn and their son Marty; this guy comes up to the table and soon as he hears my name blasts out a robust “BLACKSAW!!!!”. Then he went right into the story of the two black girls and my phallic discipline chasing these two girls out of the apartment, down the stairs and past the security guard to catch a taxi in the early hours of Tom’s escape from Costa Rica without a stitch of clothing on my bare ass. I am not sure if the boss heard the guy speaking because I immediately jumped in trying to drown the guy out and doing my best to shush the guy.

The guy’s name was Eddie King, a local radio DJ that did internet radio for an online gaming company. When I returned to Southern California I listened to his show regularly a couple of times a week for an hour a day when I could. He had a great show. It’s too bad his employer let him quit because he was great on the air. We would often email each other during commercials as we shared laughs about our perception of life in Costa Rica which could be just as twisted as that morning when Blacksaw was borne. Sometimes while he knew I was listening he wouldn’t bother with the email and just say exactly what he had to say to me over the airwaves. Not sure what Mr. King is doing these days but he should be on the air for an online gaming company because he could draw a crowd. He certainly didn't like Jim Rome out of professional competitiveness. I think with the right platform and dedication to the craft Eddie could draw a better crowd and compete with Rome. But that is a big “if” because Rome is proven. Much like you hear about great playground basketball players that should be in the NBA; if those players made the sacrifices to be the best they would be there, those that come up short just don’t always make the sacrifices.

In regards to Tom, George took him to the airport for his final departure from the San Jose International Airport. Later Shaun was considerate enough to say what I did was nice while re-iterating that Tom and DD were adults and not BOS’s responsibility to take care of them. Just a sign that Shaun might not be a total ass and has what I thought was a glimmer of human decency. As a business owner myself if someone in my company makes a mistake than as the owner I have to take responsibility because I hired them. If I promise someone to fly them to and from a specific job I don’t fly them in and then tell them once the job is finished they are on their own. People have different perceptions on how to run a business and part of the greater Ripner family business plan included, once you get everything you can out of someone despite any prior agreements you are not responsible to uphold your end of the bargain because it might cost money, every penny that is not paid is another penny maintained in the grander scheme of becoming a billionaire. I wondered if $50,000,000 was not enough to live off of by the Ripner needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment